Arlene Kahn was breaking apart clumps of commercially produced ground beef when she found two pharmaceutical pills inside, she said. She stopped her preparations for beef stroganoff and headed back to the Walmart Super Center in Sebastian, where she had purchased the fresh meat at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The two 25 mg blue pills have since been identified as a sleep aid. Get breaking news on your phone or sent directly to your inbox. She called police, who accompanied her into the store at 6:30 p.m. as she met with two store officials. They told her Walmart doesn't package its own meat, she said, but that it comes from another company. The officials refunded the $15 she paid for the meat, and gave her a $40 gift card.
Police said they couldn't do anything further unless someone was poisoned, Kahn said. Now, Kahn wants other people to know what happened and for Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to check the beef it is selling. She filed an online complaint with the nationwide company. "This may be an isolated incident or maybe not," she said. "That is my concern." Sebastian Police Officer Erica Agius' report says the local store's co-manager, William Bales, planned to contact the corporation's Alarm Central. On Thursday, police Officer Steve Marcinik said Wal-Mart Stores officials are calling on their packaged ground meat supplier in Georgia to look into the matter. Local store officials on Thursday referred media calls to the corporate office in Bentonville, Ark., which did not return a call seeking comment. Kahn found the pills in an uncooked portion of the meat she was preparing to freeze. She didn't see any in the meat she cooked, but she threw that out anyway. Sebastian police have the pills in case they are needed to help find how they got into the meat. But Marcinik said his agency isn't doing a criminal investigation.